Down

I got fired. Again.

They put me on my very first solo shift the other week, and while I thought I did fine, they didn't think my speed was where it should be. Never mind that I was given virtually no training, pitiful hours, and almost always stuck on salads alone instead of getting experience with the pizzas; everything was clearly my fault, so they dropped me without so much as a second chance.

Just as a final kicker, the manager suggested I try to apply at Tim Hortons: the company that fired me after only two shifts in December for not being 'perky' enough.

A few days before that, I had an interview at Chop Steakhouse, which would have given me the hours I needed (allowing me to quit East Side and maybe save me the grief of being fired). They liked me, said they'd call to schedule a second interview, but didn't, even after I tried to call the interviewer to ask what was going on. Next day, I call the restaurant directly, and they tell me that the position was already filled behind my back, failing to provide a coherent reason why I was never given a phone call to tell me any of this.

I honestly haven't felt this depressed in six years. I can't sleep, I feel sick all the time, and I just can't seem to bring myself to pick up my stylus without getting crushed by the overwhelming grief of being a worthless failure. I'm trying so hard to piece myself back together, but as it stands, nothing has been able to bring me genuine happiness yet. I have no idea how long this is going to last, but until I can get to the point where holding my stylus doesn't bring me to tears, there probably won't be any art updates.

I'm sorry. I promise I'll keep trying, but for now there's just nothing.

Comments